The Music Reporter/Producer is an important part of WTMD mission of providing programming that enhances the quality of life in Baltimore by bringing cultural stories to our listeners’ attention. This is a new position and forms the foundation of the WTMD cultural news team.
The MRP creates content for WTMD’s and website and other platforms. In general, the MRP will file two to three pieces per week primarily for the WTMD morning show and pieces will air in other dayparts as well. The primary focus of the position is to bring the Baltimore Region music and cultural life to the ears and eyes of our audience.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of two years experience in a similar role at a public radio station, preferably a station with a considerable number of hours devoted to AAA music. Significant experience creating sound rich and thoughtfully edited news and cultural pieces involving multiple sources.
In-depth knowledge of NPR journalistic and productions standards required. Field video and light video editing skills highly desirable. Ability to write for web and ability to post and curate WordPress blogs; graphics editing and web design desirable. Experience in live sound recording is also desirable.
The Music Reporter/Producer will have deep knowledge of the music industry nationally and the ability to develop a keen understanding of the music, arts and cultural communities, both for and not for profit, in the Baltimore Metropolitan Region. The incumbent will be highly motivated, prolific and an able storyteller who can work independently from developing story ideas and an editorial calendar through airing and repurposing.
- Reports on developments in artists careers and creates artist profiles/biographical/remembrance pieces.
- Creates stories about the business of music including the impact of new technologies, legal conflicts, venues, cutting edge technologies, and other topics focused on what Baltimore artists and business people are doing in the community.
- Creates fundraising pieces in support of WTMD’s membership campaigns.
- Repurposes audio content for wtmd.org and writes posts for the site. Secures and edits photographs and other graphics for inclusion on the site.
- Record live music sessions independently when necessary.
- Maintains the highest journalistic standards and is trained in NPR reporting standards and production values.
- Performs all duties in a manner to ensure that that accuracy, thoroughness, and fairness are central characteristics of all content presented.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for diverse constituencies.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Strong on-air presentation skills required
Submit resume, cover letter, salary history and links to 2-5 audio pieces demonstrating your experience with music and cultural reporting. Click here to access WTMD’s on line application system.
WTMD, The Towson University Foundation and Towson University are EOE WTMD is a 10,000 watt non-commercial radio station licensed to Towson University. The station serves the Baltimore metropolitan area and all of central Maryland with compelling contemporary music created by artists who are committed to the craft of songwriting. An NPR member, the station produces “Baltimore Unsigned,” an hour long music and interview program focusing on the developments in the Baltimore music scene. WTMD-HD2, “The Baltimore Channel,” airs music created by Baltimore musicians and is one of the few local-music channels in the country. WTMD is listened to by 100,000 people each month and can be heard on-line at wtmd.org and on apps for the iPhone, Droids and Blackberry.
WTMD and the Towson University Foundation offers a benefits package that includes health insurance and 401b retirement plans