As a community outreach program of Towson University, WTMD FM-89.7 (WTMD) is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion to maintain a fair, unbiased work environment and to enhance its ability to effectively serve the public. WTMD values the diversity goals, policies and procedures TU has developed in order to “foster a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion, enrich the educational experience of students, support positive workplace environments, promote excellence, and cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.”
WTMD rigorously supports and follows TU’s nondiscrimination policies, ethics policies, and commitments to equal opportunity, affirmative action and diversity.
WTMD’s Diversity Goals
- To recruit and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of its service area.
- To provide equal opportunity in employment.
- To educate its management and staff in best practices for maintaining an inclusive and diverse environment for all persons.
WTMD Diversity Practices and Initiatives
- WTMD is committed to diversity and equal employment opportunity in every aspect of personnel policy and practice including: recruitment, selection, placement, training and advancement of employees.
- Recruitment for employment opportunities at WTMD takes place through an open and fair process consistent with TU Human Resource department guidelines.
- WTMD job postings are submitted to professional minority organizations consistent with its established FCC EEO program with the goal of attracting a diverse candidate pool. Special effort will be made by WTMD management and search committee members to recruit minority candidates.
- WTMD management and other appropriate staff will attend training seminars or workshops in order to learn ways to create a more diverse workforce and to maintain a culture of respect and non-discrimination. WTMD management will review practices designed to fulfill WTMD’s commitment to diversity and to meet applicable FCC guidelines, as documented in WTMD’s annual FCC EEO Report and its annual Diversity Report.
Diversity at WTMD
WTMD has 14 permanent members of its public radio staff. Women comprise a total of 43% of WTMD’s permanent staff and will continue to recruit diverse candidates for future open positions. WTMD’s staff generally reflects the demographic makeup of its listening area.